It has been driving me nuts that you have to have a Name column, so you have a link to the files, as well as a Title column, so you know what you are actually clicking on. I found a tutorial for changing a column into a link but it also changed the text of my Title into the link text. So… I copied the code that was generated by that little experiment, grabbed the url that it wrapped, and then added that url around the Title code. Success!
Step By Step:
- Create a webpart page and insert your library
- Open page in SharePoint Designer
- Right-click on the library and select “Convert to XSLT”
- Find a Title in the code and wrap it with this url:
- Now you can delete the Name column: Common DataView tasks > Edit Columns.
- Save and preview-Title is now a link and no Name column!